In the previous instalment of this series, I added exterior details above the floor line at both ends of the cars. In this step, I added ladders and stirrups.
The process consisted of trimming the Tichy parts to length – four rungs on the end and five rungs on the sides. The side ladders have a short bracket holding the ladder to the car body because it hangs out over the end. The kit includes a tiny 2″x4″ piece of resin of the exact length for this purpose. To save time, I opted to glue all of the side ladders to a strip of 2×4 styrene. When the CA had dried, I chopped them off the strip and glued them to the car body.
After the ladders, I glued the stirrups in place. They are also Tichy parts, and they need to be trimmed off of their sprues. At this point, I noticed that I had missed drilling out some of the holes. I had to spend a bit of time finishing that step to about five cars, and then I glued the stirrups into the holes.
In the next step, I’ll assemble reservoir and bracket assembly, plus the brake cylinders and the triple valves.