To begin my description of this project, I’ll outline the work that gets the body ready for paint.
The Point 1 resin kit was designed to be mounted on the mechanism of either an Athearn SW7 or a Proto 2000 (P2K) SW9/1200. After procuring two resin kits, I found two P2K switchers and considered myself equipped to do the project (how silly of me).
As with any resin kit, I needed to clean off the flash from the castings. There was lots, and some of it was pretty thick. After the locomotive body itself was tidied up, the oversized front number boards and pilots were attached. Much filling and sanding was required to get the number boards to fit seamlessly with the body.
Once I was satisfied with the number boards, I drilled out the holes for the handrail stanchions and grab irons. I installed the fan housing on the front of the carbody and both pilots at this time too. Like the number boards, the pilots were not an exact fit either, so I had to spend a great deal of time squaring things up and test fitting.
Handrails and exhaust stacks had to be installed at this point. Both of these items are wrong for the CP prototype, but neither is commercially available as a detail part. The exhaust stacks supplied with the kit are the same height as the stacks on other GMD/EMD switchers. CP SW1200RS had much taller stacks that extended beyond the roof line of the cab.
The handrail stanchions are also unique to CP. The units were delivered to CP with handrails along the carbody. Some time later, CP retrofitted all of the these road switchers with handrails along the edge of the walkway (likely to provide workers with better protection from falling off). The stanchions that were applied by CP were fabricated in-house and are different from the stanchions that GMDD installed on the ends of the units. My friend Steve scratch built stanchions for his SW1200RS that he built from the same kit. I wasn’t as motivated as Steve, so the supplied exhaust stacks and stanchions prevailed on my models.
The stock stanchions are part of a sheet of etchings, so despite being wrong for this model, they do look nice. I bent the handrails by hand following photos. Before I attached the handrails, I installed the grab irons, and the etched pieces for the lift hooks, and bottom steps.
Another cool etching in this kit is the footboard and hose pocket thingy just above the footboard. These go together like a metal origami shape, and the finished product is pretty slick.
I attached the footboards and prow to both pilots on one model. I decided to leave them off of the other model until after paint and decals.
These models need lots of stripe decals on the ends, so despite being far from completed, they are ready for paint. I’ll write up a future post on getting these shells from grey to Action Red.