Chris Mears sent some Intermountain wheelsets to me last week, and this morning I got around to weathering them. Here’s how it went.
I hate cleaning paint off of wheel treads, so I experimented with masking them. I put a strip of Tamiya masking tape onto my cutting surface and sliced a strip 7/64″ wide.
For each wheel tread, I chopped off a 1.5″ section of the narrow strip of tape and wrapped it around the wheel.
With all of the wheel treads masked, I jabbed the axle end of each wheelsets onto a piece of styrofoam to stand them up. I hit them from all angles with a cocktail of colours that I use as grimy black.
Once I’d spayed them from a few different angles, I flipped them over and repeated. After a minute or two they were dry enough to handle. I pulled the masking off of each tread and wiped the paint from the axle ends with a thin rag.
The grimy black serves as a primer for the three colours of powders I use for basic weathering of wheels and axles. I like to do part of the weathering on my cars with the trucks off. Once I’m satisfied with the carbody, I attach the trucks and hit the whole car with colours to represent dust and/or road grime. But for now, the trucks and wheels have their base weathering finished.
Check it out…