With the help of some friends, we’ve come up with a solution for the broken axle/gear that stopped this project dead in its tracks. Jurgen has a P2K SW9/1200 that he’s currently not using. He will lend the necessary part to me in order to keep the project moving. Justin has the same model that I can use as a parts source, but I have to wait until he moves into his new house and unpacks before I can tear it apart. I’ll return Jurgen’s part to him from Justin’s parts-source drive. That’s a whole lot of parts-swapping from one friend to another.
While I was waiting to solve the broken drive issue, I proceeded with detailing the truck sideframes. I cleaned the parting lines and drilled #78 holes into the ends of the brake cylinder parts that came with the Athearn sideframes. After I had mounted them on the trucks sideframes, I made air lines from brass wire and glued them in place.
During the process of handling the sideframes, I noticed that the first ones that I modified were a bit sloppy. I took the opportunity to remove the clips that I cut from the P2K trucks and start over. They’re much more solid now.
I wanted to get the sideframes painted, so while I was at it, I painted some of the etched parts that will be installed soon.
The prototype photos that serve as my guide show two flange-type speed recorders on the trailing truck. On the engineer’s side, the speed recorder is on the rear journal. On the fireman’s side, it’s on the forward journal. I used Details Associates parts for these. Here’s one of the four speed-recorder equipped sideframes all painted and ready for weathering.
It’s good to see progress again. I’ll keep you posted.