I started to work on a second “bash” of a Greenville 86′ auto parts hi-cube boxcar. I’ve changed my approach to as a result of the lessons I learned from the first go-round with one of these.
Once again, I used the Athearn junker hi-cube model as a starting point. As before, I carved off all of the cast-on detail at the ends. However, this time I’m trying to get the sides one step closer to the prototype. I decided that I would try to reproduce the large rectangular recessed panel at the far ends of the car by creating a trough, into which I fitted a rectangle of .010″ styrene.
The photo above shows that I’m ready to start putting details back onto the car. I’ll use some filler to smooth the transition of the upper and lower side sill beams to the piece of styrene, then I’ll put the rivet detail on the end wrap-around with Archer (or Micromart) rivet decals.
I’m also taking a slightly different approach with the floor/frame of the car, but I’ll post about that another time.