A Cold Sunday Afternoon

It appears we are experiencing the winter that will never end, here in southern Ontario.  When I woke up at 9am on Sunday, it was -10 Celcius.  We achieved a high of -7 Celcius in the afternoon, though it was very sunny.  I walked the dog in the sun and then sat down to work on the lettering for three models.

IMG_0180I’ll progress from top to bottom.

Penn Central N8 caboose 23298 now has all of its lettering applied. It’s posed with the roof and cupola resting in place.  I’m ready to spray flat finish onto it and weather both porches before I proceed further with the assembly.

Penn Central X58B boxcar 361520 finally received a road number.  I still have to apply the end lettering, but I want everything to settle into place on the sides before I start propping the model up on its end.

Lehigh Valley X58 boxcar 8203 has all but the end lettering applied, for the same reason as the PC boxcar.  Microscale’s Liquid Decal Film worked like a charm to fix up the crumbling decals that came with this Railyard Models kit.  Thanks Ted.  I’ll make a note to buy my own bottle 😉

Lehigh Valley X-58 Decal Dilemma

I started to apply the decals to my Railyard Models X-58 boxcar over the weekend.  I trimmed the letters into vertical pairs in order to apply between the ribs of the boxcar.  All was going swimmingly right up to the point that the decals were floating in a puddle of water in their respective places.

IMG_0142The ‘L’ and ‘V’ pair split apart from each other while I was moving them into position.  I managed to save the letters because the tear happened in the clear part of the decal.

Next, the ‘E’ and ‘A’ pair gave me grief.  The letter ‘E’ tore in two places.  It took some patience to save it.  The following two pairs went on without incident, and then the ‘G’ started to disintegrate.  I worked carefully and slowly, manipulating the pieces of torn decal with an extremely delicate touch.  Then, as if in the ultimate show of defiance, the ‘H’ fell apart into a multitude of little black shards.  The photo above shows the outcome after everything settled in.

I can easily touch up the ‘G’ with a spot of paint, and I can build a new ‘H’ from some black decal sheet (which I received in the mail last week), but I’m not proceeding until I spray the decal sheet with some of this stuff:

liquiddecalfilmOf course, I can’t find my bottle of Microscale Liquid Decal Film, which is making me wonder if I ever had one.  My work space isn’t so messy that I could lose something like this.

I think we have some at the club, so I’ll have to rejuvenate the decal sheet on Wednesday.  This project is on hold again for a few days.  Sometimes you have to just walk away.