Having completed the front handrails on 8152 this evening, all of the handrails on both of my SW1200RS units are now installed. This marks the end of all the wire bending for this project.
In my previous post, I mentioned that the step, or riser, on which the front drop step is mounted was not included in the kit. I had to build those out of bits of styrene. I started by measuring the height of the step on the rear walkway with a digital caliper’s depth gauge. I then cut a strip out of a sheet of .010″ styrene that matched the height. I cut four pieces of styrene HO scale 4″x4″ stock and attached them across the strip with plastic cement. The spacing was determined by the etched piece for the two stanchions that are fastened to the riser. Here’s what it looked like:
I chopped the excess 4×4 from the top and bottom of the strip and trued the edges with medium and fine sanding sticks, using a precision square to check my progress.
Once I had the top and bottom trued, I cut a piece of .010″x.080″ styrene strip the same width as the space between the inside edges of the middle stanchions. I used the precision square to hold everything together while the cement dried.
Once the cement was dry, I chopped off the extra length of .010″ styrene strip to free the work piece. The extra styrene made handling such a small piece much easier during the fabrication process.
With the extra plastic trimmed away, I sanded the workpiece on all faces to smooth out the seams. I scraped away some paint on the front walkway and used CA to attach the piece.
Once the riser was in place, I was able to proceed with the rest of the handrails, starting with the centre stanchions.
I think I’ll turn my attention to window glazing next. Stay tuned.